Thursday 21 Sep 2017

Print
PDF
 

THE HISTORY OF OSIJEK.

The beginnings of man's residence in Osijek goes back to Neolithic times, and the first known inhabitants belong to the Illyrian tribes. Roman emperor Hadrian raised the old settlement of Mursa to a colony with special privileges in AD 331. After that, Mursa had a turbulent history, with a lot of decisive battles that took place here, deciding on the destiny of the whole region. After the migration, the Croats made a settlement near the ruins of Mursa, giving it its present name, Osijek. First precise mention of this name can be found in Papal list of tithes from 1332, with a precise mention of Osijek parish. Life was thriving here in the middle Ages, but only the traces of that life can be found today because the Turks destroyed everything they found and made a town to suit their style.Turks built several important buildings and mosques. Suleiman the Magnificent built here his famous, 8 kilometers long wooden bridge, considered to be one of the wonders of the world.
After liberation from the Turks in 1687, Osijek was once again completely devastated. Between 1712 and 1721, new Austrian authorities built a new fortress (authored by the architect Maximilian de Gosseau), known as Tvrdja. It is a unique urban and military complex that lies in the heart of the town. Its main central Holy Trinity Square is closed on the north by the building of the Military Command, on the west there is the Main Guard building and on the east is the Magistrate building (presently Museum of Slavonia)
Three parts of the town, the Lower Town, Tvrdja, and the Upper Town were united in 1786, and Osijek became the administrative center of Slavonia region. In 1779, new wooden bridge was built across the Drava River, connecting Osijek with Hungary and the rest of Central Europe. Upper Town became the new business centre of the town.
Last time Osijek was heavily damaged during the Serbian aggression, 1991-1995. The process of peaceful reintegration of the Eastern Slavonia and Baranja region will give a new impact to the development of our city.


CATHEDRAL OF OSIJEK.
cathedral OsijekHere is the biggest church in Osijek, consecrated to SS Peter and Paul. Although it is only a parish church (the "real" cathedral for this region is located in Djakovo), it is called the cathedral because of its size (90 metres high) and monumentality. It was built at the end of 19th century in neo-Gothic style. The bishop Josip Juraj Strossmayer especially supported its construction.
Drava river in Osijek

National Theatre  in Osijek

church of St Michael

the Museum of Slavonia. in Osijek

administrative and business centre of Osijek

Main Menu

Car Rental

Property Search

Login Form