Thursday 23 Nov 2017

Print
PDF
 
THE HISTORY OF TROGIR. UNESCO Heritage

At the end of the 3rd century B.C., Greeks from Issa (Vis Island) founded a settlement here and called it Tragurion (Goat Island). After Roman and Byzantine interludes, the Middle-Ages brought eventful times to Trogir. In the chaos of the early Middle-Ages, the Roman natives, with no strong Byzantine garisons, lived in fear of attacks by the barbarian nations. Due to its islet location between the mainland and the island of Ciovo, the town did not meet the tragic fate of Salona, destroyed during an attack of the Avars and Slavs. Gradually, the Croats entered the town developing certain Roman-Croatian ethnic symbiosises. After the great conquests of Carlemagne (814), the Dalmatian cities, including Trogir, came under Frankish rule. The document on the foundation of the Monastery of St. Doimus (1064) contains only Croatian national names. After the fall of the Croatian national dynasty, due to the diplomatic skills of the Bishop Ivan Orsini (1111) the citizens of Trogir opened the city gates to the Hungarian king Koloman who was also crowned the king of Croatia.
In the Middle-Ages the town was ruled by the Statute (the oldest preserved one is from 1322). Members of the Great Council were elected by the Small Council and the Secret Souncil. They discussed about the important security issues of the city. In June 1420, after a bloody battle, the Venetian troops of Captain Petar Loredano entered Trogir. All the city’s liberties were abolished, and Venice took all the power which lasted till the end of the 18th century.
Turkish devastation close to Trogir (17th century) completely destroyed the town at a economic point of view. At the end of the 18th century the Venetian Republic was abolished. During Napoleon’s wars from 1806-1814, Trogir was annexed to the Illyrian provinces under Marshal Marmont. After Napoleon’s military defeat Trogir became a part of Austria-Hungary. In 1867, with the support of Bishop Strossmayer, the National Library was founded and became the focal point of national renaissance. Twenty years later, after long political struggles with an Italy-oriented population demanding autonomy, the commune of Trogir passed into Croatian hands. With the fall of the Austrian Empire after the World War I in 1918, Trogir joined the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenians. General dissatisfaction and stagnation was gradually increasing. In April 1941, Italy occupied Trogir without resistance and in 1943 a one-year German occupation of Trogir began. Trogir gained its freedom at the end of 1944. The period of economical development, particulary shipbuilding and turism, followed, together with the increase of life standard of the citizens. But, the narrowness of the national awareness and democratic freedoms in South-Slavic Federation caused a great discontent of the citizens.

TROGIR. UNESCO Heritage

Trogir is a small island and harbour at the end of the Kastela bay, 27 kilometers from Split. The old core is situated on a small island between the island 'Ciovo' and the mainland.
Different periods in history have left their traces. Prehistorically remains, classical art, old Christian and old Croatian art are intertwined here, giving a harmony of form and content.
It is a town-museum and is the best preserved Romanesque-Gothic complex, not only in the Adriatic, but in all of Central Europe. Its medieval core surrounded by walls, comprises a preserved castle and tower, and series of dwellings and palaces. The church of St. Lawrence is the most significant work of the Romanesque-Gothic style in the country.
The wider surroundings of Trogir are characterized by lavish green vegetation, numerous islands and islets, rocky and pebble beaches. Entertainment includes lively fishermen's nights and folklore show but also classical music concerts in special scenic sets of the town.

THE CATHEDRAL OF ST. LOVRO (LAWRENCE).

The Cathedral of St. Lovro (Lawrence) - Trogir

The Cathedral of St. Lawrence is one of the most beautiful examples of Romanesque and Gothic architecture in Croatia. Remarkable is the main portal, a masterpiece of world Romanesque sculpting made by Master Radovan (1240 AD). The cathedral with his rich interior is one of the loveliest Renaissance monuments in Croatia. In the remarkably rich interior of the cathedral there is one of the most lovely Renaissance monuments in Croatia - the chapel of Saint John of Ursini, made by Nikola Firentinac, a pulpit from the 13th century, a Gothic sarcophagus,

a number of pictures by old masters and a rich collection of ecclesiastical vessels and vestments. The belfry of the cathedral is the best example of a mixture of building styles in Dalmatia. Every story is made in a different style, from Romanesque to late Renaissance.

THE FORTRESS KAMERLENGO.

The fortress KamerlengoFortress Kamerlengo is situated at the western end of Trogir at the end of the Riva. The fortress was constructed from 1420 to 1437. It was used as accommodation for the Venetian military crew. The name of the fortress came from the clerk; Kamerlengo (camerariusu), the Venetian cashier.

city walls trogir

St.. Marko fortress Trogir

old cathedral Trogir

The Cathedral of St. Lovro (Lawrence) - Trogir

Main Menu

Car Rental

Property Search

Login Form