Thursday 23 Nov 2017


Island of Krk. The record of the thousand-year history of Krk lies in the mosaics of the Roman thermal baths and the simplicity of old Croatian churches, the wealth of Glagolitic monuments, the heritage of the Frankopan counts of Krk and the paintings of the Venetian masters. The island of Krk has a special meaning for Croatia. For centuries it was the center of Croatian literacy and the cradle of the Croatian language. The Baska Tablet (Bascanska ploca), one of the oldest Croatian written documents, is evidence of it. There are famous tourist centers: Malinska with its wealth of historic monuments dating from Illyrian, Greek and Roman times, Punat with the largest marina on the Adriatic, and Vrbik located on a 50 m high cliff and a real attraction for painters. The best preserved fortified town in Croatia, Vrbik abounds in Glagolitic monuments, carved in stone or inscribed in manuscripts. For centuries it was the center of Glagolitic literature on Krk. Baska is also an important tourist center on Krk with a history from the early years of this century. Kosljun (below), the only inhabited island in the Krk archipelago, lies close to the main island. So small and yet so rich in history, it is known for its Franciscan monastery, its hundred-year-old high school, the grand library, and other collections and rarities. Moreover, the Lending House of Kosljun, which operated between the seventeenth and nineteenth centuries, was among the first financial institutions in Europe. Its purpose was to provide financial assistance to the poor, to protect them against usurers.


Vrbnik is certainly considered one of the oldest settlements on the island of Krk. Its history goes way into Prehistoric or Stone and Bronze Age, which is supported by numerous prehistoric discoveries. Archeological found existence of Illira settlements located at the area of Kostrilj, on the territory of the villages Garica and Risika. Significant number of Greek traces, but also traces of Roman cultural layers have been found at the Vrbnik area, at the main road Vrbnik-Krk. The first known inhabitants of Vrbnik were Iapodes, one of 70 tribes of Illyrians. Later they were driven out by the Liburnians, who occupied the entire Croatian coast. The Liburnians remained on the island of Krk and Vrbnik, as independent rulers until the beginning of the century. Then they were conquered by the Romans. When the Croats settled on the island of Krk, at he end of 6th and beginning of 7th century, Vrbnik became very important. So a castle was build in the Medieval Age, which had, according to the first know information dating from 1527, 500 inhabitants. Besides Vrbnik, there were four other castles (Baska, Dobrinj, Omisalj and Vrbnik) located on the island of Krk, which had independent administration. They were surrounded with firm ramparts. The island of Krk, and with it also Vrbnik, came under Venetian authority somewhere around 1118, by which a long period of Venice domination started. It came definitively under the Republic of Venice in 1480, which lasted until 1797.

Vinodol Statute
After that the Hapsburg Monarchy ruled over the place. During the time of Krk dukes, in 1388, Vrbnik got its Vrbnik Statute, written in Croatian and Glagolitic-script. Vrbnik Statute is the second oldest among Croatian statutes, written immediately after Vinodol Statute. Like most of them, it pays major attention to criminal law. It has not been preserved in its original, but only as a transcript made by Vrbnik priest Grgur Zaskovic. It is now stored in the University Library of Zagreb.
castle of Drvnik

Krk St Quirinius interior church



Main Menu

Car Rental

Property Search

Login Form