Tuesday 21 Nov 2017

Print
PDF
 
POREC

Poreč is almost 2,000 years old, and is set around a harbor protected from the sea by the small island of Sveti Nikola (St. Nicholas). It’s a town located on the west coast of Istria. Poreč is a town of culture, tourism, sport and entertainment. The population of Poreč is approximately 12,000 citizens. The shoreline stretching from the Mirna River near Novigrad to Funtana and Vrsar in the south is 37 km long.
Its attractive location allows guests of Poreč visiting other important localities within its vicinity like Venice, the Brijuni National Park, the Baredine Caves, the Roman Arena in Pula, the Pazin Chasm and the Lim Fjord.
Aside from its culture and tourism, Poreč also has a sports and entertainment side. Poreč offers its guests tennis, beach volleyball, football, horseback riding, cycling, walking and other water sports which enhance the holidays of every one of its guests. Poreč is also preferred by world-class athletes and recreational athletes as a location for preparation and training.
For those who crave adrenaline, Poreč offers carting, paintball, waterskiing on the only ski-lift on the Adriatic coast, jet-ski riding and mountain biking.
Almost every hotel has a summer terrace, and hot summer nights in Poreč are enriched by numerous restaurants, discotheques, night clubs, bars and casinos.

HISTORY

Poreč is a town with a long and turbulent history. From Ancient Roman times to the present day more than two thousand years have passed, and the streets of Poreč continue to preserve their original architecture and numerous cultural and historical monuments. Of these we can especially note the Euphrasian Basilica with its distinctive mosaics dating from the 6th century. UNESCO recognised the basilica and protected it as a world heritage site in 1997.

The history of Poreč starts more than 2000 years ago when old Romans conquered Histrian aborigines and founded the castrum (military facility) on the 400 m long and 200 m wide peninsula. During the reign of Emperor Augustus in the 1st century the castrum was officially promoted to a city and it became the administrative and economic centre of the Roman colony Colonia Iulia Parentium. The first bishop of Porec, Mavar, was prosecuted by Roman authorities. After his death he became the patron saint (Saint Maurus) of the city. On the place of bishop's sacrifice a Christian cathedral was founded in the 4th century. In the 6th century the bishop Eufrasius built a basilica at this same place.After the fall of the Roman Empire, Ostrogoths ruled the city. After 539 the Byzantine Empire took over the control. At the end of the 6th century Croats settled around Poreč, and after the year 788 the city fell under the rule of the Franks. A short period of independence followed in the 12th century. In 1267 Poreč fell under the rule of Venice. In this period beautiful gothic palaces and towers were built. In 1363 the Statute of Poreč was proclaimed. In 1797 Poreč fell under the rule of Napoleon Bonaparte and in 1814 it became part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire.The Austrian vapor-ship company Lloyd from Trieste started in 1844 a tourist line. This line took a stop in Poreč. In 1845 the first tourist guide with pictures and description of Porec was printed. In 1861 Poreč became the capital of Istria.The Austrian-Hungarian aristocracy discovered Porec in 1866. The Austrian archduchess Stephanie presented the city to the public by sailing into the city harbour on her yacht Phantasy. In 1902 a narrow-gauge railroad between Porec and Trieste was built, named Parenzana. In 1910 the first hotel named Riviera was built.
After 1918, it was annexed by the Kingdom of Italy, during which time there was considerable oppression of the Slavic population. The Croatian population emigrated to the Kingdom of Yugoslavia on a large scale: before the World War II. In 1947, it became part of Croatia and officially assumed the local name of Poreč. The Italian population left the city and was replaced by Slavic people from different regions of Yugoslavia. From 1945 to 1991 Croatia and Poreč were part of Yugoslavia. After the war with Serbia, Croatia became independent.

SIGHT SEEING.

Baredine Cave
Meet the mystical world of nature which has been developing for thousand of years. Stalagmites in the cave are known for their curious shapes. The underworld sculptures were created through time by the patient work of water. Some of the shapes are exceptional, such as the 10 meter long and high curtains, a very realistic sculpture of Our Lady, the body of a milkmaid called Milka, the leaning tower of Pizza and snowman the torchbearer -who has become the trade mark of our cave. In one of the atriums you will pass a crater that is 4 m wide and 66 m deep. The crater goes down to the underground lakes. It takes a walk of 40 minutes guided by a custodian. to pass through five halls and five galleries of abstract and realistic sculptures, Also a nice experience is to discover here the animals of the underworld. You will see the human fish and some endemic animals that live only in this environment, miniature see-through crabs and insects.

There’s a legend from the 13th century concerning the Baredine cave. A nobleman from Poreč named Gabriel fell in love with the beautiful milkmaid Milka from Nova Vas. Gabriel's mother tried
to diminish his love for her, but she couldn't, so she gave 3 gold pieces to highway robbers to secretly kill Milka. The robbers didn't kill the milkmaid but instead they threw her into the cave. When Gabriel found out, he got on his horse and disappeared. Only his horse was found but near another cave. The story tells that the stone body of the milkmaid is slowly skidded down to the bottom of the cave. Here we can see it now as it is seeking her lover. Today's cavers claim that one could pass through to the next cave by digging. So as our legend has it, we can assume that one day the bodies of our Romeo and Juliet will meet in the underworld and stay together forever. The Euphrasian Basilica in Poreč, built in 553, is part of UNESCO’s universal cultural heritage while Pula’s classical monuments and medieval frescoes in small churches, the works of local masters, are awaiting to be listed.

Euphrasian Basilica
Poreč has one of the most magnificent early Byzantine churches in Europe called Euphrasius Basilica after Euphrasius, the Bishop of Poreč who in the 6th century commissioned the building of a grandiose three-nave basilica on the site of an earlier church. The basilica was built in 553.
In 1997 the entire complex of Euphrasiana (church, baptistery, atrium and the former Bishop’s Palace) entered onto the
UNESCO World Heritage List. The magnificent mosaics in the apse are wonderful, as well as the marble slabs with mother-of-pearl and multicoloured stone incrustations.








Main Menu

Car Rental

Property Search

Login Form